5 PLUMBING TIPS FOR ALL HOA MEMBERS!
Thanks so much for taking the time to read our helpful advice on Plumbing in an HOA. As you know, living in an apartment or condo, pipes are shared amongst tenants. To keep them operationally sound, here are a few tips that will help keep our pipes working best.
1. SINKS AND GARBAGE DISPOSAL: Use cold water when running the disposal and never put grease down a disposal. Other foods such as fruit seeds, coffee grinds, egg shells, and bones should never go down the disposal. Avoid starchy foods such as rice, pasta and potato peels in the disposal as well. Most of these expand with water and could potentially clog the pipes when going down.
2. DON’T FLUSH ANYTHING DOWN THE TOILET BESIDES TOILET PAPER: Women’s hygienec products, other paper products, or diapers should never be flushed down the toilet. If it is not toilet paper, don’t flush it! If management unclogs your toilet and finds these types of products, you may bear the responsibility of paying for the problem.
3. DRAINS: Keep drains, both shower and sink, clear of debris that could go down and clog them. Use screens that allow water to go down but keep hair and other debris out. See a clogging drain? Call management right away. Preventative maintenance with these types of things help fix issues that could otherwise be costly if left alone.
4. SHOWER HEADS: Cleaning shower heads and sink heads bi-annually also helps save the faucets shelf life. Mineral deposits can build up. Using a commercial cleaner like CLR or soaking them overnight in warm water will help.
5. DON’T AVOID DRIPS!Dripping water is a big deal and wastes hundreds of gallons over a year. Contact management immediately if you have leaky faucets.
Remember…as a homeowner, you are responsible for the maintenance of your property. Keeping your property in working condition not only keeps the value of your home but keeps the value of entire HOA.